Re: [OM] Ponderings about Full Synchro Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Ponderings about Full Synchro Flash
From: Emil Pozar <emil.pozar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 21:32:24 +0100
> And Emil Pozar answered:
>
> : That Minolta 5400 series flashes (i/xi/HS) are only GN40 or so at 50 mm
> : setting, even less at 35 mm. Just a bit more than the F280 I think.
>
> Hmm, I didn't know that - I just consulted a photo equipment book that
> contained
> only global data. Obviously I don't have the flash.
> The Minolta site in Europe
>  http://www.minoltaeurope.com/minolta/products/slr/dynax/flash.html ) doesn't
> provide much info either.
> Most manufacturers of flashes with built-in zoom heads give their GN's for the
> 50mm position, so they cheat a little; it would be more honest to use the

To the contrary - almost all current flash makers state that exaggerated
GN.. including Nikon and Canon.

> In that case the flash has exactly the same power as the F280 but just adds a
> very
> efficient zoom head to it. Probably comparable to the GN's of the Metz 40
> MZ-2 and
> MZ-3 (which can be seen on the panel by setting it to manual, 100 ASA, F1):
>
> 24mm - 27m.
> 28mm - 31m.
> 35mm - 34m.
> 50mm - 40m.
> 70mm - 44m.
> 85mm - 46m.
> 105mm - 50m. (40 MZ-3 only)

Yes I know, I have both 5400xi and Metz 40 MZ-2. Both are very
comparable in power despite their different stated GN. In fact, Metz box
reads something like "max GN at 105 mm setting is 52" or something like
that. Obviously, it is not wise to be (at least remotely) honest today.

> I agree with Tim, in his GN rant, that the T32 is a very powerful flash but
> with
> an unefficient oldfashioned separate zoom head (50mm~135mm):

It lacked that fraction power settings I like for controlled flash
set-ups. Otherwise it is very nice. And yes - it works even if "not
ready yet". Neither Metz nor 5400 would do that.

--
Regards,

Emil Pozar
epozar@xxxxxxxxx