Re: [OM] Let's find this article!

Subject: Re: [OM] Let's find this article!
From: GMA <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 19:37:43 -0800
DB et al;

I don't have an electronic copy of the article, but here's a copy of my
original message sent on Oct 16 describing what I read.  Hope this
helps. I believe it was in the Nov/Dec issue, 1999.

George

Zuiks;

Well, the much-awaited article in Photo Techniques by Mike Johnston just
arrived at my door.  The title is "Great Zuikos". It's a follow-up to
the article a couple months ago describing the OM System as
"Photographys' Best-Kept secret." This one is a 1 1/2 page article
describing some Zuikos which are "...if anything, even better kept
secrets than the [OM] cameras."

He begins with the 'bad news': Zuikos are less consistent than other
lens systems (because they are not divided into 'pro' and 'consumer'
categories); some Zuikos available today are only average; biggest
problem area for older and used Zuikos is *coating*: early slow lenses
and early versions of std lenses are SC and suffer from more flare than
todays' photographers are used to.

But I love this quote: "... the very best Zuikos meet or in some cases
even surpass the performance of far better-known lenses."

His "Short List":

21/2 and 21/3.5  (his sole error in the article is he ids the slow one
as 21/2.8)
24/2    Says this one gets mixed reviews, but he's "a big fan"
24/3.5 shift  "truly awesome piece of glass"
50/2 macro.  He raves about it. "Better than current Summicron-M."
"Superbly sharp and contrasty."
90/2 and 100/2 The 90 is "on par with Zeiss and Leica long macros - best
available" THen says the 100 is "better still"! Insists all OMers should
have one or the other of these lenses.
35-80/2.8 "sharpest in it's class"
180/2 or 250/2

Special award to his (and Sally Manns') "sentimental favorite": 40/2.

Finally he asks Olympus to do a small run of this "legendary optic" as a
present to the OM faithful!!!

Way to go, Mike. And hey, Olympus, if you're listening, how about an
80-200/2.8 as a mate to the 35-80?

Oh, and our own Gary Reeses' lens test page is mentioned as a resource.

Thanks, Mike, for a great pair of articles on a fine collection of
camera gear: the OM System.

George