Re: [OM] OM Digital SLR

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Digital SLR
From: GPaul64@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 08:03:02 EST
In a message dated 12/17/99 8:13:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
khurley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< The major obstacle is that the Canon and Nikon/
 Kodak high end digital SLR product offerings have full auto focus lens
 systems, whereas Olympus's would not be without considerable effort. >>

I think the rationale for Olympus to introduce a digital body that accepted
OM lenses is compelling for the reasons you point out.   One way I think they
could elegantly get around the problem of autofocus lenses is to use a Contax
AX-like solution.  This would introduce additional advantages:  Zuikos could
continue as the lightweight, rugged marvels of optical design they are,
without introducing heavy, complex motors in each; and I would speculate
Olympus could dramatically reduce the bulk of the Contax system because a
digital system would not need to move a film canister and take-up reel along
with the film plane inside the camera body.

Regards,

Greg Logiodice
Nyack, NY