Re: [OM] my ADITL hopeful

Subject: Re: [OM] my ADITL hopeful
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 09:10:13 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, John A. Lind wrote:

> Seriously, if you have a light weight collapsible monopod, take it too.  If
> not, think about how you might brace things for longer, available light
> exposures.  Not having a monopod I try to find trees, fence posts, light
> posts, railings, the back of a chair, etc., and gotten decent half-second
> exposures that way.  The 50/1.4 isn't nose heavy; that should help.

yeah, I have an old Slik w/o a head on it. I'm thinking of getting a small
Bogen ball head for it.

> IMO you're right about the trade between lens speed and a longer focal
> length or zoom; it will help focus too.  Go for higher lens speed at night,
> do the best you can to compose when shooting and crop a little later if you
> need to.

yeah, I have trouble focusing acurately in low light.

 Just watch your DOF and stop down to f/2 or f/2.8 when you can
> get away with it.

that's another thing I have trouble with. I tend to focus too far in the
distance, so anything close up (people, noses, etc.) become out of focus.
I forget that DOF is not symeteric aout the point of focus.

thanks for your tips.

Be Seeing You.

Dirk Wright