Re: [OM] Help with simbols etc..

Subject: Re: [OM] Help with simbols etc..
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 13:42:51 +0000
At 13:27 12/19/99 , David wrote:
>    I am not that "instructed" in simbol usage in the net. The following

Here are a few recent ones on this list:
    <g> = grinning
    <gg> = grinning even more
    ROFL = Rolling On Floor Laughing
    BTW = By The Way
    IMO = In My Opinion
    IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

Some of the other ascii-art recently are variations of ":-)"
I use a fixed pitch typewriter type font (courier) on incoming mail as
ascii-art gets completely botched with fonts having varying pitch based on
character width.

There is a file called "The Jargon File."  It is a lexicon of internet
jargon, abbreviations, acronyms and common ascii-art.  As would be typical
of such a file it is written as a dictionary in quite professional fashion.
 It was actually published using "dead trees" a few years ago.  At one time
the "official" keepers of "The Jargon File" were at MIT, I believe in their
Artificial Intelligence lab.  Its roots date to before DARPA's development
of the internet to days of TMRC (The Model Railroad Club).  One had to
search with ARCHIE to find its location, then FTP to download it (in the
days before WWW if *some* of you were on line and remember the internet
dark ages; heck it was even before VERONICA and Gopher servers).  It can
now be found at:
  http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/

Apparently Eric is still the "editor-in-chief" of the file after all this time.

-- John