Re: [OM] showing age, was: the future of OM

Subject: Re: [OM] showing age, was: the future of OM
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 23:00:14 +0000
At 21:30 12/19/99 , Craig wrote:
>Mike -- Really???  I have to admit to a pretty skeptical view of the
>possibility of a 78 player at the time you mention.  78's were pretty well
>on the way out by the early 50's -- but 45's were all the rage, and I
>wouldn't have been too suprised at a 45 player, tho I've never seen one in a
>car.  Keep in mind that RCA was selling stereo reel-to reel tapes in the mid
>50's and the stereo LP dates from 1956-57.

I'm going with Mike on this one.  I remember being *very* young and having
a pile of 78's with kid's songs on them in the early and mid-'50's.  Things
from "Lady and the Tramp" movie, the Mickey Mouse Club theme song,
Howdy-Doody and similar stuff.  As with any emerging technology, it takes a
while to supplant the the current one.  I do remember the 45 rpm spindle
adapters when the stereo LP's hit in larger numbers and record changers
were all the rage too.  Cannot tie exact years on this, but memory tells me
45's started to hit in significant numbers in the *late* '50's.  Many
changers of that era could switch between all three:  33-1/3, 45 and 78 rpm.

My dad put one into a stereo console as part of a Heath Kit monaural Hi-Fi
system in the late '50's.  In the very early '60's he built another stereo
version (Knight Kit) that replaced the tuner and amplifier.  Hey, we all
(the U.S. subscribers) remember the "Grief Kits" from Benton Harbor, Mich.,
don't we, and the Knight Kits from Allied Radio in Chicago?  Lafayette
Radio Electronics (LRE) had kits too!

And dad took all the photos of the family at Easter, summer vacation,
Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas using the Argus C-3 "brick" he got
around Thanksgiving, 1954, using Kodachrome.  Hardly ever used a light
meter and was always dead on.  Something I wish I could begin to do!

Hmmmm, I'm really dating myself.  I was *very* *very* *very* young during
all this . . . honest!

Apologies to the non-U.S. subscribers who may be baffled by some of the
companies mentioned.

-- John