Re: [OM] 300/4.5

Subject: Re: [OM] 300/4.5
From: bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 12:06:23 -0800
At 10:13 AM 12/21/99 -0800, you wrote:
>I am still trying to decide between a Zuiko 300 f4.5 and a Tamron SP 300
>f2.8 for a 300mm prime lens. While the speed (and supposedly good
>performance with a 1.4x or 2.0x matched converter) of the Tamron is very
>tempting, I am still leaning towards the Zuiko, especially since it is
>less than half the going price used. This brings me to my question which
>is what is the US fair market price for a 300 f4.5? A local camera store
>here in Santa Cruz, CA. has an unusual (for them) amount of used OM
>treasures. However, I think they tend to be on the expensive side. Among
>those treasures is a 300 f4.5 for $399.00 "firm" on consignment. It
>looks to be in nearly flawless condition, good mechanical condtion, no
>apparent dmage, but with a little bit of dust inside (but no mold or
>other growths). Is this too much to spend if I have my heart set on one
>of these? The least I would expect the Tamron to be is in the $800-1000
>range. I know, I know...for the type of work I do I *should* have the
>Zuiko 350 f2.8 but I don't see anyone making donations and the business
>(and personal) finances just ain't there for one now. Thoughts?

Mike,

Can't comment on the Tamron, however, I did pick up a Zuiko 300 in the
Spring. Have used it extensively to shoot aircraft at airshows and some air
to air (all handheld). Love the lens. It is an early SC version but the
images are unreal. Being a motorsport nut too I can envision using this at
the track too (I use it in the 'hot pits' at airshows to catch ground based
action as well. Can't comment on US prices too much as I got lucky here in
Canada and bought mine for $250 US including the tripod mount - knew I was
getting a deal though. Good luck in your choice.

Barry H