[OM] What's the best zoom?

Subject: [OM] What's the best zoom?
From: Dave Bulger <dbulger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 18:10:58 -0600
Zuiks,

I have a feeling I'm starting a looog thread here...

In your collective experience, what's the best 28/35 - 70 zoom out there,
Zuiko or otherwise, with an OM mount?  I've just sold my 35-70/4 to a
listee and I'm looking for it's replacement.  I'm leaning towards the Zuiko
35-70/3.6.  I had a Tokina 35-70/? two-touch macro zoom for the longest
time and loved it until it disintegrated after about 5 years of serious use
- I felt it deserved the disintegration if that's where it's head was at.
 The front element leaped off of the lens and shattered on a rock about 30
feet below where I was shooting at the time.

I missed that lens, and the Zuiko /4 wasn't it's equal.  Could have been
because the Zuiko wasn't in the best mechanical shape, but the Tokina was
definitely sharper & contrastier.

Any ideas for something I can actually find?  Paul (OlympusGuy) has got a
3.6 for $229 USD.

Thanks,

Dave