Re: [OM] To code the reality

Subject: Re: [OM] To code the reality
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 17:29:23 -0800
===Some months ago I want to ask on this Oly List about this mania of to
code
some words or phases. After a lot of centurys we can say "I  see yellow
flowers and blue birds". Some people on the Oly List try to say
"ISYFABB".====

Are we that Bad?(g) = grin

Now for my humble opinion.
One of the things that makes this list so valuable is the international
flavor it has.  I must say that it has been, for the most part, trouble free
thanks to those of you who use English as a second language.
I do not speak a second language and I respect your ability.
However the list is conducted in English and on the internet.
I see nothing wrong with using standard, accepted abbreviations and symbols
in our correspondence.
If there is something you don't understand, ask.  I am sure you will get a
proper response.
There is a web page somewhere with all the common shortcuts explained.
Can someone post that for us?

Off Topic rant to follow:
Now if you want to get me in a lather about poor English just mention
the American (USA version) news anchors who use whatever
means available to make a dull sentence sound exiting.
This is the profession we used to look to for correct English usage.
 (Walter Cronkite)
Now they sound like a valley girl on speed.
Have you ever listened to some of the garbage they spew?

Charlie L.