Re: [OM] Zuikoholism and Christmas

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuikoholism and Christmas
From: "John A. Prosper" <prosper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 00:38:11 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, LARS BUNDESEN wrote:

|Hi,
|
|I just got myself a very nice gift for Christmas: a 180 mm/2.
|
| {Material deleted}
|
|The only problem with this purchase is that there is no money left for
|presents for my family ;-)
|
|BTW, does any Olympus literature have information about this lens? It is
|not included in my Olympus Lens Book, though the 250 mm and 350 mm are.
|
|A merry Christmas to all on this list.

And a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, likewise!  And
congratulations at your good fortune in finding your new Zuiko toy.
That happens to be the next lens I'm targeting; perhaps good fortune
will swing my way as well. ;-)

The Zuiko 180/2 is a 10-element, 8-group APO design utilizing internal
focusing for rapid focusing and to achieve a near focus of 1.6 meters
(5.3 feet---I realize that you probably employ the metric system of
measurement.  However, there are those like myself you still use the
old English system). It's state-of-the-art resolution and contrast is
due to the "utilization of newly developed optical glass with special
low dispersion and abnormal dispersion characteristics."  It weighs in
at 1900 grams (4 pounds, 3 ounces), making it lighter than the popular
300/2.8 APO designs, even when paired with a good 2X TC to yield a
250/2.8 system.  With a length of 174mm, it's a little less than 7
inches.  It's compact length and employment of a tripod mount (at
least when new) disallowed the use of internal filters, its only
liability.  Consequently, it takes expensive 100mm filters.

More details on this lens and the rest of the Zuiko arsenal can be
examined at http://www.veluwen.demon.nl/

My own Xmas gift to myself has been a Gitzo G1325 carbon fiber tripod
with accessories.  I am told I have to wait a week and a half or so
before it arrives.