Re: [OM] (Wildy OT by now) To code the reality

Subject: Re: [OM] (Wildy OT by now) To code the reality
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 15:47:11 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> Bob Sull said:
> OEM, RGB, VGA are standard computer terms.  OEM=Original Equipment
> Manufacturer  RGB=Red Green Blue, an old standard in computer monitors.
> VGA=The new standard for monitors, a variation is Super VGA.
>
> To which I add:  VGA = Video Graphics Array.  640x480 at 16 colors.
> Introduced by IBM along with PC-DOS 3.2, OS/2 1.0 and the PS/2 series of
> computers in April 1987.

But VGA *is* RGB, surely?  AIUI (as I understand it) RGB refers to the
way the computer sends the picture to the monitor - separate red, green
& blue signals (& separate sync as well), rather than multiplexing them
together into one signal (e.g. composite video).  Both the older CGA and
newer VGA, SVGA, XGA standards do this.

> VGA replaced what would have been a thick
> bundle of digital, RGB

Now you've lost me completely, I'm afraid.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |