RE: [OM] Digital 35mm replacement

Subject: RE: [OM] Digital 35mm replacement
From: Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 10:11:44 -0600
: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> [ma

Well there is one more fly in the ointment. A scanner can determine the
exact color for a given pixel because each pixel is scanned in three
separate color channels.

A digital camera does not have that luxury. The luminance of each pixel can
be determined by the sensor in it's color channel, but it's actual color has
to be inferred by surrounding pixels - each pixel having a mask of (I think)
red, green, or blue. This means a digital photograph of a given size
actually has less information content than a scan of the same size.

Chip Stratton
cstrat@xxxxxxxxx