Re: [OM] (Wildy OT by now) To code the reality

Subject: Re: [OM] (Wildy OT by now) To code the reality
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 20:53:55 -0500
Sorry for the confusion, Ian.  You are right about the meaning of RGB
but RGB was also used to refer to the signal cables of the earlier
digital interfaces which needed lots of separate signal wires.  Pauls
message got it exactly right including the meaning of EGA.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA

> > VGA replaced what would have been a thick
>  > bundle of digital, RGB
>
>  Now you've lost me completely, I'm afraid.

I think what is being referred to here is that the VGA standard replaced
the
earlier EGA (Enhanced Graphics Array?) standard. EGA was a digital
standard
and only supported, I believe, 16 colors using a 4 bit digital interface
the monitor. If display standards had stayed digital we'd need 24, 32,
or
even more bits of information to get the same number of colors we have
now,
requiring a thick bundle of cable.

I guess photography isn't the only industry in which analog still rules.

Paul Schings