Re: longish/Musing over technique, was [OM] Sunpack433 D / Vivitar 283

Subject: Re: longish/Musing over technique, was [OM] Sunpack433 D / Vivitar 283 Qs
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 22:39:37 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Charles Loeven wrote:

> Manual flash is not always the answer here either.
> If you calculate the exposure you then need to:
> 1-change the f stop
> or
> 2-move closer or farther away.

  There's other alternatives. The "Duh" one is very simple: Until
you learn to work a simple flash calculator at a glance, stay at a given
distance, and use a zoom to change cropping. No need to change f/stops.
Entirely predictable, and with a 35-70 or 35-105, fairly flexible.
The other is to learn the distance/f-stop table. Not very difficult.
I did a long series (aeons ago) in punk clubs using Nikons, and
a 20mm lens with K25/64. Most of the shots were under 6 feet away, and it
was all on manual flash. It's perfectly doable (and this was while dodging
people slam-dancing). I could not use a flash meter there.
  I'll be a heretic here and say that I find the 310, T-20 & T-32
clumsy for working manually and much prefer the 283's (with Varipower
Module), the 285's and my 2 Sunpaks (one a monster handlemount unit, the
other a lot like a 283). I use a flashmeter when possible

                                     *= Doris Fang =*