RE: [OM] Tricky teleconverters...

Subject: RE: [OM] Tricky teleconverters...
From: "Bob Hood" <bhood2@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 09:00:22 -0700
> You might have the following problems:
> 1. OM-2 may be a little weak (not likely)
> 2. 80-200 may have bent pin or be stiff
> 3. Teleconverters might be CHEAPLY made, especially if off-brand

I'd probably guess it's #3.  The 2x is by Toyo Optics, and the 3x is a
Spiratone.

> You also haven't specified what (who) makes the 80-200.  It is possible that
> it, too, may have a quality problem...

It's made by Cimko.  It "feels" like a good lens, and it works correctly on
the body without the teleconverter attached.

> Your comment about shifting the
> Teleconverter gives me some concern that is where the problem is.  Also, you
> shouldn't be able to shift it much at all, almost none!
>
> If you haven't been involved in photography for a while, someone may have
> "seen you coming" and sold you some gear that  is a little marginal in
> performance...

That's probably the case.  I never really dealt with teleconverters or
telephoto lens back in high school.  All I had was the standard 50.

>  If you are looking for lenses other than Olympus Zuiko, stick
> to the major brands like Vivitar, Tokina, Sigma and Tamron.  Some other
> brands can, not will, be bad news.
>
> An aside note.  Most folks really avoid the 3x Teleconverters.  You lose 3
> stops of light and the contrast also goes in the dumper.  If you have the
> opportunity, try exchanging the 3x for a wide angle or a flash or ...
>
> Whatever you do, don't try oiling any part of the lens of OM. You'll regret
> it for a long time.  Take it to someone that can give you the right kind of
> help.

Thanks, Brian.

Render me gone,                  |||
     A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform.