Re: [OM] Brighter Screen For Astrophotography

Subject: Re: [OM] Brighter Screen For Astrophotography
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 15:28:21 -0500
I use a Beattie Intenscreen in an OM-1n body dedicated to astro work.  I've
never seen or used a 2-series but many other list members have experience
with both.  See the archives.  In a nutshell, it appears (to me at least) to
be six of one, half dozen of the other as to others' preference.

A little note - focus in astro work is difficult to the extreme.  Methods
vary but most folks will agree that your eye is the least reliable or
consistent method to achieve critical focus.  Other techniques are (in no
particular order):

     - use a removable prism body and place a 10-20x magnifier on the ground
glass
     - place a Ronchi grating on the film rails
     - use the knife-edge method of focus
     - use a hartman mask
     - use an attachable focus aid, similar to the Oly Varimagni finder,
only higher power

There are others I'm sure, just can't recall them at the moment.  Each
method has advantages and disadvantages - cost, ease of use, repeatability
and so on.

All this is a verbose way of saying a brighter screen helps, but by itself
is not enough to get truly accurate focus.  And depending on what instrument
you are using, other factors come into play, such as collimation, focuser
mechanics, etc.  Good luck, have fun and keep warm :)

Jim Mueller <webnik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wondered: