[OM] Re: question on the moon

Subject: [OM] Re: question on the moon
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 19:26:54 -0500
Sam Morales asked:
for those of you who photographed the moon.  I have a question did the
moon
appear sharp to you?  I used a 1000mm lens and could not discern the
craters
on the moon. <snip>
-------------------------------------
Hi Sam,
Just got back after a few days away so maybe I'm Johnny-come-lately
here.  I think your problem is that 1000mm is not very much focal length
on something as small as the moon.  However, the biggest problem is
probably your focusing screen.  Unless you have a very fine surface for
super telephoto lenses the craters at 1000mm will be so tiny that
they'll be lost in the graininess of your screen.

The craters are certainly there and it doesn't take much magnification
to see them.  They're almost (but not quite) visible with the eye
alone.  7 power binoculars will show you loads of detail if you can hold
them steady.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA