[OM] Arrrrgh! focusing screen ruined!!!

Subject: [OM] Arrrrgh! focusing screen ruined!!!
From: "Dirk and Carla Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 19:51:07 +0000
Well, don't ever try and clean your 2 series screen with alcohol, it
apparently ruins it. While I was replacing the rotted foam that cushions the
mirror on it's upward travel, I removed the new 2-13 screen from my OM2n to
clean off some residue from the old foam. I tried lens cleaning fluid, no
luck, just smeared it around a little. The alcohol cleaned off the black
goo, but somehow damaged the plastic. I used a cotton ball and followed the
fresnal lens grooves, but I can see when looking through the viewfinder with
no lens on the body that there are scratches or something bad on that part
of the screen. It's still usable, but not nearly optimal. so much for 42$.
:(

BTW, I used the eyeglass nose pads you can buy at any drugstore here in the
USA, which are made from pink selfstick foam rubber. You cut them to size
with a razor. They appear to work great. I learned this tip from reading
someone's wise post on this list. Thanks whoever you are.

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright