Re: [OM] Vintage whine

Subject: Re: [OM] Vintage whine
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 15:15:09 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, GMA wrote:

> Mike Johnston wrote:
>
> > The solution to your basic problem is pretty clear. It is reasonably
> > well known that photojournalists often use "one camera one lens,"
> > meaning, they never switch lenses--they dedicate one body to each lens
> > they use. So if Sebastiao Salgado uses a 28mm, 35mm, and 60mm, it means
> > he will have three camera bodies strapped around his neck.

    I also use multiple bodies for several reasons. First, you just never
know when you might finish off a roll. The Goddess of Photography
being of a slightly perverse nature, it will always happen at the worst
possible time. Same with changing lenses. I often carry two
bods, with different lenses when working in a journalistic mode.
I used to carry three bodies at times (big Nikons), but heard Ernst
Haas and a LIFE (and Esquire) pro tell me how they only carried two, and
realized I could get by with two bodies as well. For situations with
a temporal bias, it enables one to simply get more shots.
     The secret to switching lenses rapidly is simple:

                  Remove both caps.
           Place the appropriate lens shade on.
       Slide the lens nose-down into your camera bag.
 The bags that work best for this are the old-fashioned
overly-deep type of designs, in my experience. You should have one empty
compartment for the lens you're removing to "land", then grab its
replacement and mount it on. Fiddling with the lens caps is an absurdity.
You learn to reach into the bag with a light hand, sliding the fingertips
along the outer edge of the compartments the lenses are sitting in so you
don't fingerprint them. Yes, the lenses will be safe in the bag without
the rear caps on (why do people worry so much about this, or restoring the
front cap ? Soooo A-R !). If not, then your bag is dirty (I've seen some
with big dust bunnies in them) and needs VACUUMING (yes, remove everything
first). Changing lenses between 2 cameras rapidly is a
little hairier, but I've yet to drop one.

                                       *= Doris Fang =*