Re: [OM] which film?

Subject: Re: [OM] which film?
From: "Dirk and Carla Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 21:44:57 +0000
>Acer;
>
>General RsOT (Rules of Thumb :>) that I've read and experienced:
>
>Negative film (color OR B&W): about 7 ev of latitude.
>Transparency film (color OR B&W): about 5 ev of latitude.

OK, so why do photog's rave about slide film if it has less latitude than
print film? Is it less grain in the slide film? Color saturation? Also, I
think paper can only hold maybe 5 ev? Does color paper hold more range than
B+W? (I think B+W holds more, but that's just a gut hunch) So then does it
not matter much that slide film only records 5ev if you can only print 5ev
anyway?

I gotta read my Adams books again (I think I only have two of them though).

BTW, someone told me that some digital cameras can record 12ev (!). Is this
true? Or is this a theoretical limit?

Boy, I've got a lot to learn (and re-learn....).

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright