RE: OTRe: [OM] slide vs neg film - my take

Subject: RE: OTRe: [OM] slide vs neg film - my take
From: Dave Bulger <dbulger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 08:39:34 -0600
Gregg,

Excellent description of the offset printing process!

Note that while Gregg's explanation of the printing process covered
magazines, books, etc., some of the high, high quality publications
(particularly photos) were printed using a letterpress or photo-gravure
process, where the plates putting the ink on the paper were physically
etched or engraved with an acid type of "developer" to provide a physical
separation between the areas to be printed and the areas not to be printed,
as opposed to a chemical separation (offset printing).

Yes, somewhere between wedding photography/custom lab printing/Pizza Hut
night-managing in college and my current computer geekdom status, I was an
offset printer.  So many careers, so little time...

Dave