Re: [OM] Olympus flash guns

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus flash guns
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 20:37:45 +0100
: I have an OM4T, Leica M3 and M5. Can anyone confirm whether the Olympus
: F280 flash gun will work with all three cameras or whether the gun's
: circuitry make this an exclusive to Olympus OM cameras.

On the Leica's only in Manual Mode.

: If the gun is exclusive to Olympus OMs can anyone recommend an equally high
: quality flash gun which would work with all three cameras.

Equally *HIGH*??? Hmmm, are you sure you don't want a *better* flash? I'm a big
fan of the Metz 40MZ-2 (or 40MZ-3). Way more sophisticated than any Oly Flash
(but
a bit large and heavy). Good choice for the OM-4Ti too if you don't need Super
FP.
The flash is dedicated on the 4Ti with the proper SCA adapter (321) and can be
used on the Leicas in Computer Flash with a full range of F1..F45 (100 ASA) Auto
Apertures or a GN that can almost continuously be changed in Manual Mode from
2.5m
to 40m. (100 ASA, 50mm).
Alternatively a T32 would also be a better chioce than the F280, but with only
three Auto Apertures and two GN settings.

:   The M3 and M5 are flash synchronized at 1/60 second. The M3 does not have
: a flash contact in the body's accessory mount.

So you need an adapter shoe with a PC cord and maybe a flash bracket for the M3.

H@nz