[OM] We survived!

Subject: [OM] We survived!
From: "Dirk and Carla Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2000 11:33:58 +0000
My wife and I went down to the national millenium celebration near the
washington monument last night. Some of you may have seen it on TV. It was
packed with people. We also went to the DC celebration on constitution ave.
We came loaded for bear. I with my OM2n and three lenses, winder and t20,
and 3 rolls of fuji 800, which was very light all together, and my wife with
her nikon/cosina fm-10 and a tamron 35-135 slow zoom, also with 3 rolls of
film. I did learn to hate that fm-10 last night.

My intention was to do some street shooting of people in costume, etc. Well,
it sure wasn't Mardi Gras, very few people in costume. I guess we take
ourselves very seriously in this town. No Y2K bugs, grim reapers,
antichrists or people in diapers. I don't know yet if I got anything good or
interesting on film, since I just got up about an hour ago and haven't taken
the film in to be developed.

The fm-10 is a pain to use because of that stupid "press the shutter release
a little to activate the meter" "feature." If the lens is wide open, and you
need to find the correct shutter speed, you can't hold the release part the
way down and adjust the shutter speed dial at the same time. What a stupid
design! At least on the FM2, the meter stays on for a short time after you
press the shutter release. I learned to love my oly gear even more last
night. Not only was it more comfortable and easy to use, the lenses I
brought were much lighter than the tamron lenses my wife wanted to bring.
She was planning on bringing just the zoom, a 200mm/3.5 and a 50mm nikkor.
That stuff was a lot heavier than the 24/2.8, 50/1.4 and 100/2.8 that I
brought, plus the 28 and 100 fit into a fanny pack *with* the 3 rolls of
film, spare AA bateries, a small pad of paper and a pen, yeah!

I had to tell my wife to stop asking people for thier names after she took
thier picture. A simple "can I take your picture?" is adequate, since I
doubt that these will every make money for us. If they asked, I just told
them the photo was for personal use and not for money.

The fireworks around the monument were great! I took several shots with the
exposure compensation in the +2 area. My wife was busy with the monopod, so
I had to hand hold these shots. The shutter was fairly fast, and the lens
was wide open. I don't expect total glory with these shots, however.

Oh yeah, that new patagonia brand long underwear is great!

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright