Re: [OM] slide vs neg film - my take

Subject: Re: [OM] slide vs neg film - my take
From: ALEXSCIFI@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 23:19:47 EST
Has anyone else tried DALE LABS of Hollywood, Florida? They offer the very
unique service of generating slides from ANY C41 print film, as well as very
good quality prints. Also they will do PHOTO CDs as well--cost for E6 24 and
36 exp rolls being $19 and $25 respectively, including index prints. But the
initial CD is some $15 or so. While I can't yet comment on the relative
quality and subjective impression of their "C41" slides, I like their prints
and PHOTO CD service very much. Go to "WWW.DALELABS.COM" for their web site
and the current special of a  "FREE 8x10".

Alex

In a message dated 2000-01-01 10:08:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< At 06:10 1/1/00 , Wayne Harridge wrote:
 >My local lab will also produce a PictureCD from E6 reversal films.  This is
 >excellent value ($AU13 ~ $US8.50, for 36 frames), the 1500x1000 resolution
 >is more than adequate for web use and they turn it round in a few hours.

 You are indeed lucky.  Sadly, Qualex (film processing subsidiary owned by
 Kodak) will not do PictureCD's from E-6 or K-14 (at least in the U.S.)  :-(
  Discovered this the hard way by asking for one and having to call Qualex
 to find out why a CD didn't come back with the slides.  They will only do
 it for 35mm or APS *color* C-41 at time of development.  No reversal, B/W
 including chromogenic C-41 B/W, or after film processing.  BTW, the cost of
 a PictureCD is only slightly higher in the U.S.  Was told by Qualex they
 would *gladly* do PhotoCD's on my E-6 at five times the cost and a two-week
 turnaround!

 Qualex is really missing an opportunity on this one.  If they can scan
 color C-41, similarly scanning a film strip of B/W or reversal after
 developing it ought to be a "no-brainer."  I need to poke around and find
 out if one of the pro labs in the "Big City" 50 miles from here does
 PictureCD's from E-6 and/or K-14.  Most pro labs can do the much more
 expensive PhotoCD's.  One pro lab 50 miles away charges $46 (U.S.) to put
 36 exp of 35mm on a PhotoCD, but cannot do PictureCD's; at least their
 turnaround is one day!

 -- John