Re: [OM] slide vs neg film - my take

Subject: Re: [OM] slide vs neg film - my take
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2000 23:39:49 +1100
Phillip Franklin wrote

> In fact National Geographic required all work to
> be submitted on K14 Kodachrome emulsions up until sometime in the
> 1980's.  Since they were one of the first color magazine publishers they
> got their start on the early Kodachromes.  If you look at some of the
> 1940's issues of this magazine it has the exact quality of color as
> those original Kodachromes.

They also put out a book _Odyssey - The Art of Photography At National
Geographic_, Jane Livingston et. al. (ISBN 0-934738-45-9) which has
examples from all these periods and a technical and artistic discussion
about the different colour film processes. Before Kodachromes, they
used something called autochromes.

> Not surprisingly that color also looked
> like the true process Technicolor used in the movie business.

What modern film has a palette like that? I guess you'd have to do
it digitally.