Re: [OM] 70-210?

Subject: Re: [OM] 70-210?
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2000 (Happy New Year) 22:32:34 +1100
"Earthlink" wrote

> I use a 70-210 f3.5 Tamron SP for most everything I do. I have compared
> pictures taken with it and pictures I have taken with my zuiko 85 f2, and I
> can't tell any difference in quality. I really love the way this lens works,
> but it is awfully heavy.

I have the earlier model f/3.5-4. It's heavy, long and lacks a
tripod mount, but produces outstanding pictures, including
down to 1:2 magnification at 210mm. The advantage of the longer focal
length over a 90mm is less depth of field. I found the matching
flat-field 2x converter, which takes the magnification down to 1:1
at 210mm, to be not so good, although others disagree. The lens works
well with tubes, and at infinity for straight landscape shots.

But I don't regard this lens as a general-purpose 70-210 zoom.
I've never found a decent case for it for field use, and you need
a one-touch for moving subjects.