RE: [OM] OM40/PC lock ups

Subject: RE: [OM] OM40/PC lock ups
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 11:53:14 +0100
Hi,

> It's a black OM40, I don't think I have ever seen a chrome 40 here in OZ
> (but I've never seen an OMPC either).

:)))
Chip or John (I don't remember exactly who wrote the part in question) was
referring to the battery cover, not to the whole body. The OM-40 and the
OM-PC are identical, and they have only been made in black.

> The electrical contact from the battery cap is via a spring washer type
> arrangement, which seems pretty clean and giving good contact.

At times springs get pushed in too far (this happens very often in TV and
VCR remote controls), when this is the case you can pull out the spring some
more, in order to "force" a good contact. Did you try this in your camera?

> From what John says it sounds like it's time to exercise the 3 month
> return/repair privilege,

Basically, yes...

> I don't really need the 40, it was Zuikophile greed that prompted me to
> buy it. It was only about $60 US and really is the cleanest looking OM40 I
> have ever seen.

...but given these conditions, you might want to reconsider, and try picking
up a repair ("as-is") OM-40 from e-Bay, to make one nice and working one
from the two bodies.

> I find the 40 seems to brass very quickly and the rubber covering pick up
> nicks and dents which tends to make most of them look a bit scruffy before
> their time.

???
Interesting, I've had mine for well over 13 years now, and it still looks
almost new. It has only very minor brassing at the corners, and the rubber
still looks fine. My 4Ti on the other hand.........

> I have another ugly OM40 that works a treat, as well as a 1, 1n, 2sp, 4
> and 4Ti so I can probably live without it. Then again it's so pretty maybe
> I'll just put it in the display cabinet with my wifes ceramics and
> crystal:-)

Well, that's one option, but you could also try to make your working OM-40
look nice and new again, using the parts of the other one.

Whatever you decide: best of luck with it! :)

Cheers!
Olafo