[OM] Re: Shutter speed ring (was How To Buy A OM2000 & Lens & Film for $

Subject: [OM] Re: Shutter speed ring (was How To Buy A OM2000 & Lens & Film for $180.49)
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 18:46:27 +0100
Hi Thomas and others,

you wrote:

>When I bought my first OM-camera many many many years
>ago, a key criteria for selecting OM over e.g. N*k*n was just that the shutter
>speed control was located in a sane spot......

Very handy for handheld action-shots and small (Zuiko?) lenses, yes, not so
handy for tripod based photography, particularly with big(ger) lenses. Try the
300/4.5 on a Manfrotto/Bogen hexaplate ball head and a Winder equipped
OM-something and you'll see what I mean...

And with big(ger) lenses handheld where a steady grip with the left hand under
the lens is essential, you're bound to end up with holding the complete combo
with your right hand in the camera/winder while busy adjusting shutter speeds
with your left. When using a 2,5 kilogram lens like my Tamron 400/4, I've had
to develop a technique where I'm adjusting the speeds while still holding up
much of the lens' weight through the very same hand, this so the camera don't
have to take all the weight. And this slows down action when you need it the
most.

Actually, I think this is one major reason why OM's never were or are very
successfull among wildlife photographers.

Oh well, there is no perfect system for everything. There are many other
benefits of the OM-system, but I don't think big lens photography is among them.

Cheers
Ulf Westerberg
Nature- and Travel Photography at www.start.at/westerberg