[OM] Fwd: [Leica] Tri-X: a technical view

Subject: [OM] Fwd: [Leica] Tri-X: a technical view
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 16:13:55 -0500
I thought the list might enjoy this technical discussion of Tri-X and T-Max in association with recent B&W threads. It was originally posted on the Leica User Group mailing list.

- Reprinted with permission from the author Erwin Puts

Skip

Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 16:43:56 +0100

The current discussion on the relative or absolute erits ot Tri-X is indeed refreshing. So a technical appraisal giving some background info might be helpful. Classical emulsions like Tri-X use thicker emulsion layers than Tgrain (modern films). The growth of silverhalide in the classical emulsions is less controlled than in the tabular controlled grain. Thus the shape of the individual grains in the Tri-X emulsion are more irregular and the size of the grain has a wider span. You will find very small sizes and very big ones and everything in between. So we have a thicker emulsion and more irregularly shaped grain that is distributed over a larger bandwidth of size. If we have larger and smaller grains side by side we increase exposure latitude as the small grains are less sensitive than the bigger ones. But the shape and size distribution has one more effect: it enhances the internal (micro) contrast and promotes the recording of subtle tonal differences. Again courtesy by the wider latitude in distribution of grain size and shapes. If we have grain clumps in all sizes the chances are quite good that small variations of tonality in small subject areas can be captured more easily by this assortment of grain sizes and shapes. Another point: D76 is a halide solvent type of developer, that reduces the grain clumps during development and gives them soft edges. This tendency flattens the internal contrast and when used with modern (Tgrain) films which inherently are of flatter micro contrast, the effect is doubled. That is why the tonal rendition of Tmax in D76 is markedly different from that of Tri-X in D76. Another often overlooked point is that filmdevelopers function as chemical or physical development processes. The difference is a difference in grain clumping, but also the silver deposit may be black or sivery. Both types of course reduce the light transmission, but the black silver gives a different quality of light than the grey silver. Of course if you are well versed in the intricacies of these effects and the ways of influencing them/compensating them you may use any film/developer combination and emulate quite effectively any other one. But when you opt for one of two different strategies/materials you end up with intriguing results, which are more predictable if you know the basics.

The tonal rendition is also strongly influenced by the shape and slope of the characteristic curve. Any film has a density range of zero to 3.0 (in log units). Any stop difference results in a value of 0.3. So theoretically any film can accommodate 10 stops if you go for a 45 degree contrast index, that is 1.0 . Now it is more natural to use a 0.7 value and that results in the claim that a film can handle 15 stops. This is not true of course. The effective range of a film is from 0.1 to 1.4, that is a range of 1.3, This range can accommodate 7 stops when we use the CI value of 0.7 and 9 stops if we use a CI value of 0.5. Lowering the CI value is the same as underdeveloping the film. If we now use the seven stop range as a standard, we see from the non-linear characteristic curve that the rendition of tonal differences depends on two things. The steepness of the straight portion and th selection of the portion of the tonal scale of the subject you want to record faithfully. In the toe and shoulder of the film curve things are compressed and so do not record correctly. We may like this compression effect, mind you. If we now have a Tri-X film with a characteristic curve that is sagging a little in the midtone area we compress the midtones and flatten contrast, making it look like a Tmax neg. On the other hand I can use a developer that gives the curve an upward shape in the midtones and so enhance micro contrast in the midtones. In this way I can use T-max film and give it a look as a Tri-X film. You need suitable developer, careful exposure etc, but it can be done. Not an exact emulation but close. We should also be aware of the absolute tonal difference between two grey values. If the differences in reality are small, we will make them smaller still when using a CI value of 0.5. It may be that the differences become too small to be perceptible. (re Fechner's law). So if we are going to compare the tonal rendition of two film emulsions we should use identical subject tonal ranges AND identical CI values. Otherwise any comparison goes wrong. Same as with lenses that is. Current Tri-X is not the same emulsion as it was in the past. There are a number of changes, making it behave a bit more like Tmax. At least the amount of silver is reduced and so presumably is the range of grain sizes.

Erwin

Please note: all my articles about technical matters, even when posted on the Lug/Leg are copyright by me. Do not use without due references.