RE: [OM] Lens recomendation for soccer mom with OM-1 body

Subject: RE: [OM] Lens recomendation for soccer mom with OM-1 body
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 02:05:47 -0500
Allan,
You can certainly use a Zuiko, but there are some good 3rd party lenses out
there, as you know with the Vivitar.
If, repeat, if, you can get hold of one, an excellent choice would be a
Tokina ATX 80-200mm f2.8, but it won't be cheap!

Take a look at some Tamron lenses, the 80-210 isn't too bad, the 70-210 is
better.  I have a Tamron 70-210 f4.0 Auto-focus that is fun to use outside,
but is worthless indoors.  (Worthless because it needs LIGHT to focus).

The old Vivitar 70-210 Series 1 f3.5 would also be a good choice to use.

My strongest advice is get the fastest lens you can afford because of
focusing ease as well as increasing shutter speed to keep subjects sharp.
You don't always want a perfectly exposed blur.

A rule of thumb - the shorter the zoom range, the better the optical
results.

Some current name brands worth looking at: Tamron, Vivitar, Sigma, Tokina,
Phoenix, Samyang. These are all current manufacturers.  There is a lot of
crossover here, Phoenix (Samyang) makes lenses for Vivitar and Tokina, Sigma
makes lenses for Vivitar.  Samyang, Phoenix and Vivitar often have the same
lens at different price points.

Older (used) product lines worth looking at:  Soligor(especially the C/D
products), Vivitar, Tamron (try to stick with Adaptall 2), Asanuma (changed
their name to Tokina).  In my opinion, the older Sigma stuff (20 years or so
ago) ain't worth a hoot.  Some of the current Vivitar products aren't so
great either, so look closely.

Check out eBay (ebay.com) to get involved in trying your luck on used lenses
and OM accessories.
Brian P. Huber

Troy, OH
bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx

I am looking for advice as to what lens would be appropriate for a
soccer mom asking for a telephoto lens suitable for action photos at
recreational soccer games..

First thought is a non-zuiko zoom lens in the 60-200 mm range.  Second
thought would be something in the 100-200 mm range since the majority of
the action is never nearby. I think the lens should have a tripod mounting.