Re: [OM] Lens recomendation for soccer mom with OM-1 body

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens recomendation for soccer mom with OM-1 body
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 08:31:54 -0600 (CST)
My top three recommendations are all prime lenses,which I prefer for
speed, ease of focus (helpful for those late afternoon/evening
games). Although the adjustment from zoom to prime is a big one, you
eventually start to "think" in terms of the focal length you have
mounted and pick out shots that will look good in its range.

I would recommend, in order: 300/4.5 - Has a monopod/tripod mount,
produces excellent images, is long enough to give good closeups on
your side of the field and good 2-3 player action shots across the
field.

200/5 - excellent lens for hand held shots. Makes up for slow
aperture with lightweight, compact size, and easy handling.  Uses
49mm filters

200/4 - See above. Comparable lens, slightly faster but slightly
larger. Uses 55mm filters.

Or if you want to stick to zooms, how about the 85-250? Covers the
range you need, has a tripod mount, and gets excellent reviews.

BBB
On Mon, 03 Jan 2000 21:41:40 -0600, AKSeidel wrote:

>Dear List Forum,
>
>I had to laugh after reading how the subject line came out. Actually,
>this is a serious question and is the driving reason for recently
>joining this list server.  I hope it is not too basic a question.
>
>I am looking for advice as to what lens would be appropriate for a
>soccer mom asking for a telephoto lens suitable for action photos at
>recreational soccer games.  She is currently using an OM-1 body with a
>Vivitar 28-85mm zoom lens.  She wants to take color photos that appear
>close-up without requiring a print enlargement. She gets good results
>with the 28-85mm, but only when the action is nearby.
>
>First thought is a non-zuiko zoom lens in the 60-200 mm range.  Second
>thought would be something in the 100-200 mm range since the majority of
>the action is never nearby. I think the lens should have a tripod mounting.
>
>I would appreciate any advice or information.  I've noticed a huge
>difference in lens cost but don't know the reason for the difference.
>The local camera dealers are of no help -- they all want you to buy an
>entirely new system.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Allan Seidel
>St. Louis, MO