[OM] Lens Collars and tripods was Lens recommendation for soccer mom wit

Subject: [OM] Lens Collars and tripods was Lens recommendation for soccer mom with OM-1 body
From: "Buddy Walters" <IRBWalters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 23:56:55 -0800
-----Original Message-----
The Zuiko 180F2.8 does NOT have a tripod collar and in my opinion doesn't
need it.
Alex

Snip!!
Hi Alex and all,
Have to disagree with you here.  I think all lenses longer than 2 or 3
inches (and long Extension tubes) should ALL have a rotating tripod collar,
especially the 35mm x 70/80mm zooms, 90mm macro, 100mmf2, 180mm f2.8, 200mm
f4.  And I certainly cannot understand why OLY did not add one to the 50 x
250 f5 zoom.  Not everyone shoots handheld in horizontal format.  Many are
(and many more should be) shooting from a pod of some sort.  A rotating
collar greatly enhances a pod/camera combo setup.

And while I am on my soap box, I have to disagree with all who advised "Mrs.
Soccer Mom" to not bother with a tripod, i.e. "to slow, etc".
I have been shooting OLY gear for over 20 years now and have owned a small
Gitzo tripod for most of them and used it very little.  I made a change
about 5 years ago, thanks to John Shaw's books and tapes and added another 4
or 5 pods of various sizes including a Kirk window pod.
In the past I used a tripod only when I HAD TO!  Now, I only shoot WITHOUT a
tripod IF I have to.
This is a huge difference in attitude and my photographs have improved
dramatically because of this very important accessory.
OK! Soap Box closed now!
Buddy Walters