FW: [OM] Future ES-10 support (WAS Randomness prevails)

Subject: FW: [OM] Future ES-10 support (WAS Randomness prevails)
From: Dave Bulger <dbulger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 08:05:15 -0600
Chuck,

Good point re the Win 2K support.  Yes, tried it under both NT Server & NT
Workstation -- no go.

What I've found so far is that any software that runs under NT Workstation
4.0 runs under Win 2K.  If it don't run under NT, however, you're out of
luck.

Note that despite the fact they're calling it Windows 2000, it's still NT
with a prettier dress on.  Even the splash screens states "Based on NT
Technology".

Also, remember that Microsoft is touting Win2K as the be-all OS for the
future, and (at least this week) they intend to roll both Windows and NT
into it.  In other words, there will not be two OSs from Unca Bill -- just
one.

While I can halfway understand not issuing another version of a driver for
an alternate OS (i.e. NT), I'm afraid that MS will take so long phasing out
'98 and NT and replacing it with 2K that companies like Olympus will be
able to say that the ES-10 is old technology and adopt the "Here - have an
OM2000 instead" attitude.

Yes, we can have fun ranting about Microsoft, but I remember back in the
very early 80's ranting about Digital Research's uncaring, monopolistic
ways with CP-M and running towards MS-DOS 1.0, saying that Microsoft and
Bill Gates was a small company who cared about guys like us.  Sound
familiar?  <g>

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.  Especially from the point of view of
the poor guys like me that don't get to get corrupted!  <g>

Dave

BTW -- I think you're right re contacting Olympus Japan.  It seems to be
the common consensus that they're far more responsive than Olympus America.
 I'll keep the list posted re any responses I get.