Re: [OM] Seeking first camera for child advice...

Subject: Re: [OM] Seeking first camera for child advice...
From: Frank van Lindert <franklin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 21:29:15 +0100
Hello Mike.

Just my two pence: My son, who is 10 now, was given an old Olympus
XA-1 for his sixth birthday. This was a good choice. It was small and
light enough to be handled be his little hands, but without being
vulnerable like the modern AF's (e.g. the Stylus Epic).
At present (since a year or so) he has upgraded to an old XA. Of
course I am biased giving him Olympus stuff - and I do own much of it
which makes it easier...

But I would definitely not start with any AF camera if you want to
make your daughter interested in photography rather than giving her
the means to shoot the odd picture.

You are right that ten is the right age to start learning about light
(apertures, shutter times, using a thumb rule or a meter). When she
has that age, you can also buy her a nice photography book specially
intended for the age group. Until then you will be the teacher!

About your other question: yes, a Stylus Epic is a nice camera, on par
(or about that) with the T-4 or T-5 of Kyocera/Yashica. The lenses of
thowe two are probably a tad better than that of the XA - which by
itself is still a very good camera too.

Good luck, Frank.