[OM] ibm, microsoft, apple, xerox

Subject: [OM] ibm, microsoft, apple, xerox
From: Joseph <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 03:07:40 -0800 (PST)
===================
Why people on this user group and others debate these issues appalls
me.  They make it sound like there was really this Apple vs. IBM
mentality in either of these corporations.

Well Phillip, I pretty much always ignored the apple vs. ibm debate because
it was just a debate about toy computers.  I started paying more attention
to microsoft when they took it upon themselves to have a business strategy
aimed at preventing folks like me from running unix even if we prefer it.
today, microsft platforms run on anything but toy computers.  Unfortunately,
they still have standards of reliablity from the days of PCs that were toys.

I can't think of many bigger marketing disasters though than Xerox fumbling
away all the technology developed at PARC back in the 70's, however.

Joseph