[OM] OT: Operating Systems

Subject: [OM] OT: Operating Systems
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 08:32:52 -0500
Phillip Franklin produced an excellent history of PC OS development.  I
might quibble with emphasis in some areas but that's about all.  Some
additional comments.

 >IBM and Microsoft were jointly working on what was commonly
 >called OS/2. Basically it would replace DOS hence the name OS/2.

IBM started the development of OS/2 since it needed a reliable,
multi-tasking operating system so that new products (such as ATM's)
could be built on low cost PC hardware.  Microsoft asked to be
included.  While many think OS/2 is dead you'd be surprised to know how
many ATM's are controlled by OS/2.  Banks may be one of the last
bastions of OS/2 usage.

 >OS/2 was thought about way before Apple had released it's Lisa or Mac.

Very much so.  I was brought in to build a system test team in August,
1985.  Much of the system had already been designed and a great deal of
development was already underway.

 > I don't think these companies ever had an official bad word to say to
one    >another. In fact, much of the money needed to create the Power
PC chip from    >Motorola came from IBM. So IBM actually had a large
stake in development of
 >the Power PC Macs.

Actually, a very large stake since IBM supplied not only the money for
Power PC development but also the first chip design.  Motorola had a
fine chip fab plant but didn't have the design expertise for a really
high performance CPU.  When Apple realized that the Motorola 68000 line
was running out of gas they approached IBM for a new CPU since the Power
PC chip was already known.  That started a close business relationship
with IBM.  By 1992 I was having meetings with Apple folks on common,
multi-media data standards.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA