Re: [OM] 135/4.5 & 1.4XA

Subject: Re: [OM] 135/4.5 & 1.4XA
From: "Paul D. Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 20:14:40 -0600
At 12:46 PM 1/8/00 +0100, Daan wrote:
>Foxy,
>
>>So 200mm internal focus will give about the same as 135mm with extension.
>>

>I think that's 150 mm (200 mm micor-N*kk*r) and ~180 mm (C*n*n 200 mm
>macro), both at 1:2.

The Sigma 180/5.6 shorten to about 120mm.

>I'm not sure about the new micro-N*kk*r-zoom lens and

This one gets really short. It's marked 70-180, but at highest magnification
(at a marked 180) it is only  4" (100mm) from the subject, making it
scarcely better than a 50mm macro. The Vivitar Series 1 90-180, on the other
hand, has a working distance of about 18" at the same magnification. It
stays very close to marked focal length. That lens is a true marvel: it
focuses from infinity to very close and has all focal lengths (at their
marked value) at all distances. You just focus on something, then zoom to
get the imaage size you want. And it was made in OM mount. Most macro zooms
have a macro mode that only gives you a single magnification at any distance.

Paul