Mirror Lockup, was: Re: [OM] shoe 4

Subject: Mirror Lockup, was: Re: [OM] shoe 4
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 14:30:24 EST
Cc: lriina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
The reasoning behind using a mirror lockup is to eliminate the extra
vibration introduced by the "slap" of the mirror swinging up. The affect is
most significant and moderately long shutter speeds (from about 1/15 sec to a
few seconds). I've only found the function useful for astrophotography. I
presume it is also useful in macro work, but I've only just started to dabble
in that.

If you go back in the digests/archives a few months you will find a lengthy
discussion of the OM-1 mirror lockup compared to mirror lockup and aperture
prefire on the OM-2S, OM-4(Ti) and OM2000. Gary Reese's test results seem to
indicate that, at least for the 200/4 Zuiko, the affect of the  aperture
stopping down, at least on the OM-1, was significant. I think th ebottom line
was if you are looking to absolutely minimize vibrations, the OM-2S,
OM-4(Ti), and OM2000, using the mirror/aperture prefire feature of the self
timer, are your best bet. The OM2000 actually has an advantage here, in that
you can adjust the self timer delay. The delay on the OM-2S and OM-4(Ti) is
fixed at 12 seconds.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I'm sure this is much more than you wanted to
know...

Paul Schings