[OM] OT: Operating Systems

Subject: [OM] OT: Operating Systems
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 11:25:51 +0100
Hi,

> This is not at all factually correct.

[...]

> Personally I don't mind different opinions being aired here.
> That's what this whole thing is about.  But when you gloss over this
> history which I spent so much of my life (I know I should have probably
> been in real-estate) and get it so wrong,  I just feel it is neccessary to
> rant like this. Sorry to those who could care less about this. But to
> those who read this you got a first hand history lesson.

Well, I certainly found your "history lesson" to be very interesting
(seriously)!

I did not know there was all this to it, I had always understood my short
(and apparently incorrect version) to be more or less what happened.
Somewhere last year there was also some TV program which dealt about
MicroSoft's success, and I think they more or less stated the same (maybe
not though, can't be sure anymore).

Also my wording was chosen a bit poorly, I guess. MS may indeed have
"believed" in OS/2 and have developed a big part of it, but the bottomline I
was getting at was that at one point in time they broke with IBM (who then
continued on the OS/2 trail), and went on to pursue "their" Windows stuff.

Either way: regarding the competition between IBM and Apple, there
definitely was some. In the same program as mentioned above, they even
showed some examples of a pretty aggressive Apple campaign, where they had
this big factory set up with all sort of people dressed completely in blue,
etc.

Alright, I guess we've all had our share of "the can of worms" which I
opened, so let's leave it at that (or take the rest off-list). Thanks for
the clarification, and I found it a most interesting read, even though it
meant I was being corrected on almost everything I wrote in those few lines
:)

Cheers!
Olafo