Re: [OM] OM-4 vs. OM-4T vs. OM-4Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4 vs. OM-4T vs. OM-4Ti
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 10:28:51 EST
In a message dated 01/10/2000 10:20:50 AM Eastern Standard Time,
eheler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Hello:  I am new to this list.  In fact this is my first day.  I have owned
>  and used OM-1 and OM-2n cameras.  I currently own the OM-2n.  I am thinking
>  of purchasing at auction an OM-4.  Is this a wise move or should I wait
>  until I can find a used OM-4T or OM-4Ti.  I'm not sure I know the
difference
>  among them.  I would appreciate any and all advice.  Thank you.

Welcome to the list!

For a detailed answer to your question, you should check out the FAQ at
http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/photo.shtml

The short answer is that first, the OM-4T and OM-4Ti are identical. Compared
to the OM-4 the OM-4T/Ti has:

Titanium top and bottom plates (stronger, lighter)
Synchronizes at all shutter speeds with the F280 flash
Battery check shuts off after 30 sec
Redesigned ASA/exposure compensation dial
Redesigned self timer/beeper switch

There were problems with battery drain in the OM-4. This is discussed in the
FAQ as well. Also check out the archives of this list. I suspect that most of
the bad OM-4s have been weeded out by now, but I would hesitate to buy one
that I couldn't return if there was a problem. Somewhere in the archives you
should find the procedure for checking the battery drain.

The other (and perhaps most important) difference is that Olympus still sells
and services the OM-4Ti.

If I could afford the extra $$$ for the OM-4Ti, I'd look for one of those.

Hope this helps,

Paul Schings