Re: [OM] T400CN revisited

Subject: Re: [OM] T400CN revisited
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 20:40:53 +0000
At 00:02 1/12/00 , Acer wrote:
>I'm not well versed here, but: according to what I read on photo.net Q&A
>board, T400CN is optimised for printing on B&W paper, whereas B&W+400 is
>set up to decent prints on color paper from minilabs (tell them to run it
>thru the Kodak Gold channel). That's what I gathered, it may or may not be
>correct. Different bases, density/mask something or the other.

Yep, Acer's right.  I had to call Kodak to find this out when B&W+400 was
first released in 35mm and replaced the T400CN on the rack at the store.
The details of this are buried in the tech data sheets on the two films.
Requires comparing the two and reading the color layer sensitivity charts
to sort this out.  The two films are different.

Acer's had better luck with minilabs handling it than I did.  The three I
tried can't get a true gray and black on color paper.  It comes out with a
very slight blue or green cast to it.  More noticeable when holding the
prints next to true B&W's.  Qualex refuses to print it on color paper.
They ship it to their B&W lab, process it C-41, then send it through their
B&W print machine.  Takes a week instead of 24 hours like C-41 color.  Also
been told you can get slight color fringing using color paper too, but
didn't observe this effect myself.

-- John