Re: [OM] OT: Listee?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Listee?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 23:33:27 +0000
I always thought a "lister" (bag) was a large canvas bag, suspended from a
stout tree branch, and used to contain potable water.  It is especially
useful in very hot, arid climates.  The water seeps very, very slowly
through the tightly woven canvas and evaporates on the surface of the bag.
The evaporation process keeps the water cool.  If you're someplace like
Death Valley or the Sonoran Desert which doesn't have very many trees with
stout branches, you can make a tripod and set it on its apex (the three
legs extend above where they join).

If the lister leans too far, water spills out.  Left or right would be
purely relative to the observer.  Wouldn't cause a political problem,
except perhaps if most (or all) the water spilled out resulting in civil
unrest among those who were now without any potable drinking water in a
very hot climate.

-- John