RE: [OM] Presidential Lies

Subject: RE: [OM] Presidential Lies
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 21:59:29 -0500
At 07:46 AM 1/14/00 +0800, you wrote:
This is interesting, seems like nobody on this list has a good word for
Clinton.  The impression I had previously (as an observer from the distant
land of Oz) was that the American public were quite accepting of his wrong
doings.  Is it just the composition of the list, are his supporters too meek
to voice their praises for him ?

Why the list seems mostly anti-Clinton is an interesting question, since as you point out the majority of Americans are not. We could speculate that folks who use manual cameras are conservative and resistant to change, but that would put me in the same category :-)

I'm not meek but I refrained because as usual once someone makes a joke about the president in the river sure enough it will 'degenerate' from there--as it has.

I voted for him twice yet there are a number of things I do not like about him. Although I disliked Reagan intensely I admit he had certain viewpoints that he stuck to even if they were unpopular. Clinton is too much a president of the polls, too willing to abandon his positions if the polls do not support him. His health care plan was a perfect example. A plan with no grand vision, merely a pastiche of ideas-du-jour that would never work.

As far as what I liked about him, the first thing that struck me is that he was young enough to actually share some of my problems. He was the first president to have a working wife, at least in my lifetime, and therefore his struggles would be the same as mine, trying as they must to wrestle with dual careers and raising a daughter. I had hoped that would translate into better policy. The fact that he actually had sex was also a plus, altho subsequent events have proven that he has it just a bit too much, lol.

In any event the fact that some bimbo persuaded him to accept half a blow job is so meaningless as to be absurd. As we know many heads of state and other powerful men routinely have mistresses and affairs. Almost half of all married men have been unfaithful to their wives, so as they say let him who is free from sin cast the first stone. It's so fascinating to watch all these family values types like Gingrich, etc etc with their righteous indignation when they themselves are divorced.

Sure, he lied under oath about it. So what? I would too. No one had a right to ask him about his little shindigs--it's not relevant to policy or national security. Many may disagree with me but again most Americans saw it as a which hunt. Clinton has been continually under investigation so some may say where there's smoke there's fire but the things he's been investigated for are fairly trivial and blown out of proportion. Let the investigators vote for campaign finance reform if they want real change.

While Clinton takes the heat for every conceivable thing his harassers will not give him credit for an economy that's the envy of the world. Watch and see. While the President does not directly set interest rates, by appointing people like Rubin and Greenspan (he could have replaced Greenspan had he chosen) and making it clear that he was serious about deficit reduction, he set the tone in the bond market for the fall in long-term interest rates which is in large part responsible for the current national prosperity. Reagan used to talk that shit, but Clinton walked the walk. In fact Clinton is accused of being a liberal, but he's about as centrist as you can get, if not rightist. His support of welfare reform made him no friends on the left.

Anyway, add me to the meek minority!

Regards,
Denton Taylor

Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com.