[OM] My thoughts om OM4 and/or suggestions, should an OM5 ever be...and

Subject: [OM] My thoughts om OM4 and/or suggestions, should an OM5 ever be...and new Zuiko-glass - ahh....
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <thomas.clausen@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 09:08:37 -0700
Hello there,

I've expressed some opinions before (like a few months ago) regarding my
preferences for OM2s/p over the OM4. I will not repeat what I said then, but
just summarize that I find the usage of the spot metering capabilities of the
OM4 troublesome (pushing extra buttons around, making using a winder most
inconvenient etc.) and that I prefer the viewfinder info being placed
vertically as in the OM1,2,2s/p (and probably the two-digit OM's too?) rather
than horizontally as in the OM3,4.

The purpose of this email is to in part ask for others experiences regadging
efficient usage of the spot metering facilites of the OM4 and at the same time
express some thoughts on what I would like see changed, should Olympus be
convinced to release an OM5,6,.....

First off, the question. My OM2s/p is almost exclusively being used in manual
spot mode and with a winder2 mounted. In manual spot mode, the light is metered
within the circle of the microprisme area in the viewfinder. Hence when taking
a shot in spot-mode, I meter the light, set apeture and shutter speed and
shoot. No much moving of hands, all grips within reach (an advantage of having
the shutter speed selector at the lens mount), one press of a button to take
the picture. Imho, it is almost perfect :)

My OM4 also has a winder2 mounted, and I still prefer using manual mode.
However from the OM2s/p, I have grown so much used to the spot metering system,
that I often prefer to use that, rather than the averaged, center-weight
metering. Also, often the reason for me to pick up the OM4 is because I want to
use the multi-spot capabilities of that camera. In short, the spot capabilities
are important to me. However, it is almost impossible for me to figure out any
convenient way of getting my fingers onto the camera, pressing the "spot"
button, when otherwise using the winder. It would appear to me as if the OM4
was not designed to really use the winders / motordrives (the only motordrive
I've tried - besides winder2 - suffered the same complications as described
previously).

Now, what do you people do in such situations? I may be wierd for insisting on
having a winder on a camera and at the same time insisting on not using
automatic mode, however I am also wierd (considered by many) for using "them
old, clumsy cameras that do not even have auto-focus". But I find this to be
the singlemost inconvenient thing by the OM4 - that in fact even single-spot
metering is difficult when using the winder (and even difficult when not - an
extra button is required).

If I was to propose some changes I would see made to the OM4 to become an OM5,
I would sure like to see either (or both) of the following:

- A selector such that I can decide whether (spelling?) or not the default
  metering mode is "spot" or "average center weighted". Would easilly enable
  single-spot meterings (in both auth and manual) with a winder mounted.
  Since the majority of my motives are shot with a single spot metering, this
  would suffice in about 950f the situations, and it wouldn't be too much of
  a difficulty to implement in the design.

- I would also like to see a more convenient way of hitting the "spot" button
  for when taking multiple spot meterings with the winder mounted. I have no
  clear idea where such a thing would be located on the camera...I just want it
  :) (If anyone from Olympus reads this, please make a set of prototype-OM5's
  with such a thing located in different places and send my way for testing
  *grin*)

Comments on this, anyone?

On another note, I recently got my hands on two nice, mint, Zuikos. That be the
100/F2.8 and the 200/F4. And I am also expecting a new 85/F2 to be in my
hands soon (is ordered, awaiting delivery). I guess I just have to admitt my sin
and re-join the club "Hi, I am Thomas - I am a Zuikoholic...." - well, I staied
away from buying new zuiko's for almost 2 years....I wonder if I will ever be
able to stop completely?

Anyways, the new babies (lenses) have been put through some initial testing and
have even been used for a few "real" films aswell. I am most pleased with both
of them :)

--
Mange hilsner / Sincerely

  Thomas Heide Clausen