[OM] Olympus pricing in Canada (C-2000)

Subject: [OM] Olympus pricing in Canada (C-2000)
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 15:25:56 -0800
Hello all,

For your info, I am copying below a note which I just wrote to Olympus
America after discovering HUGE price discrepancies between the C-2000 in
the USA and Canada. If anyone has further info on this, I'd love to hear it! I
need to buy a camera by next week at the latest.

==========
I am considering the C-2000 camera. I am also comparing  it with the Epson
850Z, which appears to be very close in features and specs, and is the same
price as the C-2000 in the USA.
But I would like to know why the C-2000 is at least $400 more than the Epson
850Z in Canada?

The Epson sells for $1099 to $1250 CDN
The Olympus sells for $1499 to $1599 CDN.
In the USA, I can buy either of the above for US$799 online.

These prices are based on 3 different retail stores, including one which
carries both products.

Is Olympus America aware that your Canadian distributor  Carsen Group
appears to be charging far too much for the product? (If they are not, then why
the difference?)

According to the dealer: the Olympus has been sitting on the shelf for months,
but the Epson is selling like crazy! For a $500 difference, I'm not surprised.

I am prepared to buy a C-2000, but not be gouged by a Canadian distributor.
If I can't find a fair price in Canada, I may have to consider buying the Epson.

I would appreciate a reply at 250-743-5516 if you can help me on this.

Thank you.
Shawn Wright
Systems Manager
Shawnigan Lake School.

ps: I already have many Olympus products, which is why I am concerned
about this problem.