[OM] Frozen fingers and thawed film

Subject: [OM] Frozen fingers and thawed film
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 20:50:12 -0600
Well, I got together with Joel Wilcox for another rendition of "Let's
actually use our Zuikos."  We braved the early morning cold air to chase
eagles and managed to frost a few facial hairs in the meantime.  Cold?
Yup!  Sunny?  Not till later.  Windy?  Oh yeah.

We blasted away at the eagles for a while and then sought out the
neighborhood Golden Armpits to thaw our fingers with hot cups of coffee.
After our outer extremeties had become mobile again we jumped back in the
Jeep (manditory SUV content) and headed out for a spot that I had cased out
earlier in the week.  We spent a little while on an old bridge sticking way
out into the lake (dammed up lake).  Being that the cold wind was blowing
straight down our windpipes we didn't lurk around that spot too long, but
we did spend quite a bit of time (two hours at least) in a little cove on
the south side of the lake and out of the wind.  There was plenty of
bleached out wood debris to photograph and I managed to eake out 65 frames
on a single 36-exposure rolls of film.  Yup, my OM-1 with Winder-1 decided
to slip cogs in the cold.  I grabbed the OM-2S (which had been happily
hibernating inside the bag all morning) to retake the critical shots--just
in case.

On the way back to my house we talked politics (manditory Clinton Content)
and discovered that we like/dislike the same/opposite people for entirely
different reasons.  Imagine that!  Oh well, I guess we can't be friends
Joel. <g>  Let's just make sure we keep George and Denton in the dark--we
don't want both of them beating us up.  <g>

I looked at Joel's 90/2 lens.  Wow!  That is one beautiful hunk of glass.
I WANT ONE!!!!  I just need to get a job so I can buy one.  He loaned me
his XA to check out.  So far, I am quite impressed.  It is the perfect size
for me and meets/exceeds my feature list.  Now the big question is whether
or not the picture quality is up to my expectation.

For those of you wondering why you can't find used OM-2S bodies--Joel has
them all.  <g>  He has an entire harem of those camera bodies.  I think he
is stockpiling them.  But strangly enough, it was our manual cameras that
got all the use this morning.  I keep forgetting to buy another package of
chemical hand warmers to secure to the OM-2S.

Thanks Joel.  Had a great time.  It beats going to work--even though I
don't usually go to work.  Till next time.

Ken (returning to our regularily scheduled programming) Norton