[OM] Camera Show in Dallas

Subject: [OM] Camera Show in Dallas
From: GFaulk7376@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 23:42:30 EST
I went to the Camera show in Dallas today and thought I'd pass along what I
saw that might be of interest to the list. First off, there was the usual
selection of OM 10's and well worn OM 2's and 1's. There was one OM4T with an
85-250 attached that looked promising initially until closer inspection
revealed a severely bent lens hood.  The same seller had a Canon 300 F2.8
Fluorite modified with an Oly mount. According to the seller, the lens was
modified by a company in Oklahoma. He showed me some 4x6 prints taken with
the lens and an OM-1 that looked OK but  4x6 prints aren't going to convince
a serious shooter about the lens' sharpness. As has been the case for the
last two or three years, there were very few OM system components to be
found. ( cords, flashes, screens, etc.) If people are dumping their OM
systems, they are not doing it in Dallas. My big buy was Velvia for US$4.00 a
roll and a 77mm filter stacker for $10.00. One vendor had Popular Photography
magazines from the 70's and 80's. The first mag I picked up was the June 85
issue that showed photos of the new Olympus OM-PC, 50-250,50f2.0, and 28-85.
The report said the 28-85 focused continuously down to a reproduction ratio
of 1:4. Too bad this lens was never released. In the same issue, B & H
advertised new 350's for $2100, 600's for $800, and 21F2.0's for $250.
Where's the Wayback machine when you need it. Gary Faulkenberry