Re: [OM] Need for Circular Polarizer?

Subject: Re: [OM] Need for Circular Polarizer?
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 20:56:10 EST
> Skip,
>  I know for a fact that the 2s and the 4 require one, and that the 1
>  doesn't.  Can't afford to acquire any empirical experience with the -3
>  (though I'm sure it's a literal gem <g>), however.
>  Dave

I know that they (Olympus recommends) require one because of the
semi-silvered mirror pointing the light down into the meter cell on the 2s
and 4.  But I have also heard that metal surfaces don't polarize light so
this doesn't make 100ense to me.  I wish I could speak empirically (the
kind based on experimentation as opposed to mere observation) about this but
in actual use I haven't found the use of the regular polarizer to have a bad
effect on my exposures.  Perhaps this is because the scene I shoot aren't 99%
polarized in one axis but more of a 60/40 or 70/30 mixture.  I did pick up a
Minolta wide angle circular polarizer in a bargain bin for $2.50 so I'll be
using that from now on (just to be on the safe side).

Warren