RE: [OM] OM Photos for your critique

Subject: RE: [OM] OM Photos for your critique
From: "Ron Spolarich" <caesar2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 21:40:09 -0500
Dave:  It's really not blue, it's the absence of reflected light using a
polarizer.  The light was coming from over my shoulder late in the day, very
low in the sky last month.  I decided to throw a polarizer on as I often do
whenever there is reflected light on the subject.  I had also shot some
black and white that afternoon of the same image which can be seen in Places
6 - 5 but without the polarizer.  I don't think a polarizer does much for
B&W, though I'm no authority on B&W.

I also tend to be somewhat of a purist in the sense that if that's not how
the subject really looked I'd rather not shoot it or manipulate it into
something else.  Some might argue that the use of a polarizer betrays that
thinking.  That's a topic for another day!

However, having said that, I did break my own rules in the image seen in
Places 4 - 5.  This was a wonderful subject turned into a FUBAR!  This image
was shot very late in the evening, say twilight.  The exposure was somewhere
between 15 and 30 seconds, maybe more.  I had used multi-spot metering in
automode on the 4Ti and had my winder on.  The negative was nearly totally
white and I'd be willing to bet that standard printing would have produced
nothing.  But not with the Nikon scanner and Photoshop, the blue in the sky
is most definitely not as I saw it!

In absolute modesty, I am an "amateur" and my own worst critic.  Others in
this group take "images" that I can only aspire to!

RonS