RE: [OM] Need for Circular Polariser?

Subject: RE: [OM] Need for Circular Polariser?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 12:08:30 +0000
At 07:07 1/17/00 , Wayne Harridge wrote:
>I don't believe this is strictly correct.  The indicated exposure in the
>viewfinder may be incorrect, so if you use this info to make a manual
>exposure, then the exposure is incorrect.  If however you make an auto
>exposure (otf/otc) the effect of using a linear polariser is irrelevant,
>since the reflection from the film or the shutter curtain will not change
>the state of polarisation of the light.

Ummmmm, good question.  Even if it doesn't affect the actual OTF during
exposure in auto mode, it could still be a problem.  If I understand it
right, the displayed error would be an unpredictable amount in the
direction of over exposure.  The displayed metering would show less light
than there really is.  Even in auto mode I normally turn the aperture ring
watching the shutter speed to get to a desired DOF.  If I'm opening up as
wide as possible for minimal DOF and push the shutter speed to 1/1000 or
1/2000 (OM-4), I'm in trouble!  If trying for a panning effect and stop
down to get a 1/15th shutter speed, I'm in for a surprise!

-- John